With dental crowns and bridges, you don’t have to hide your smile because of missing or damaged teeth. The dental specialists at Horizon Family Dental Care, with offices in Baltimore, Clinton, and Hanover, Maryland, offer restorative dentistry and can provide your crown or bridge to complete your smile. For a consultation to discuss all of your dental options, call the office nearest you today or book an appointment online.
Crowns & Bridges Q & A
What is the Difference Between Crowns and Bridges?
Crowns and bridges are dental treatments used to replace missing teeth. However, a crown usually only replaces one tooth, while a bridge can replace one or more teeth.
- Crowns: Crowns, also referred to as caps, are a type of dental restoration used to replace a decayed or damaged tooth. Crowns usually cover your natural tooth to protect it after it’s undergone treatment. Crowns may also be part of your bridge.
- Bridges: A bridge is a dental device that replaces one or more missing teeth. It’s a fixed device, which means it can’t be removed and is custom made to fit your mouth and match your other teeth. It not only restores your smile, but a bridge also improves oral health and function.
Your dental specialist at Horizon Family Dental Care determines whether you would benefit from a crown or a bridge when you come in for a consultation.
Why Would I Need a Crown?
Your dental specialist at Horizon Family Dental Care may recommend a crown for a number of reasons. Some of the most common reasons you may benefit from a crown include:
- A damaged or chipped tooth
- To serve as an anchor to attach your bridge
- To cover a misshapen tooth
- To improve your overall look
- To strengthen a weakened or fractured tooth
- To support a large filling when your natural tooth can’t
Your specialist may also recommend a crown to protect your tooth after a root canal.
Crowns come in a variety of materials, including gold, porcelain, or porcelain fused to metal. You may prefer a porcelain crown for restorations in the front of your mouth because they most closely resemble your natural teeth. Your specialist at Horizon Family Dental Care can help you determine the best type of crown for you.
Why Would I Need a Bridge?
If you’re missing one or more teeth, you may need a bridge to restore both your smile and oral function. The dental specialists at Horizon Family Dental Care most often recommend a dental bridge to:
- Restore your ability to chew and speak normally
- Alleviate stress on your bite
- Improve the shape and volume of your face
- Replace your dentures
- Prevent your remaining teeth from moving out of position
- Improve your overall smile
With good oral care, including regular visits to your dental specialist at Horizon Family Dental Care, your dental bridge should last for years.
To learn more about crowns and bridges and how they can restore your oral health and smile, call Horizon Family Dental Care today or book an appointment online.